Wednesday 11 April 2012

Thanks Alpes JUG. Next stop: Miracle Open World

Finally I was able to complete my trip to Grenoble to speak at Alpes JUG on the 29th of March about all things Infinispan, and I must say that I through fully enjoyed the experience. On arrival I was greeted by one of my JBossian colleagues, Chris Laprun, who lives in Grenoble.

After spending a few hours hanging around, we headed for the location of the Alpes JUG, where I met by Ludovic Poitou and other members of the JUG. The talk involved me speaking for 2 hours giving an overall view of Infinispan, while developing a simple application that would showcase Infinispan's capabilities. As always with live demos, one or two things didn't go fully according to plan, but overall the demo worked fine. For those who attended, remember that the demo code can be found here.

After the talk I had the chance to meet the attendants of the JUG where we discussed about caching, data grids, Hibernate 2nd level cache...etc. Having had some pizza slices, Chris and I moved on to a pub in the old part of Grenoble where we're able to watch my dear Athetic Bilbao crash Shalke 04 in the Europa League :).

Next day Chris and I met with another of the Alpes JUG leaders, called Emmanuel Hugonnet, with whom we had some lunch. I must say that I felt in love with the local cuisine having tried some local rather pinky sausage with cold lentils with mustard (what a great combo!). Here's a pic:


It was a joy being invited to speak at Alpes JUG and I'd certainly recommend it to any Java speakers out there! I hope to come back some other time :).

So, what's next? Next week I'm speaking at Miracle Open World 2012 in Billund's Legoland park, where I'll be joined by two other JBoss colleagues, Max Andersen and Thomas Heute. In this rather atypical conference, I'll be speaking about measuring performance of in-memory data grids, and about building transactional, scalable Infinispan applications. I was already speaking at this conference last year, and together with GeeCON, this was one of my favourite conferences of 2011. Can't wait for next week!

Cheers,
Galder

1 comment:

  1. sausage + lentils is more than a combo, it's an institution :-)

    ReplyDelete